Friday, March 18, 2011
DIY Gifts | Fabric origami box
Begin with two squares of stiffened fabric, one for the bottom and one for the lid. (Mine were 6" x 6.")
1. Mark the center of the square by folding the fabric into quarters or measuring. Bring each corner of the fabric to the center point and press the creases.
2. Bring one edge of the resulting square inward until it touches the center point and make a crease. Repeat with the other three sides.
You'll end up with four creases running through the square.
3. Open up the top and bottom triangular flaps, leaving the side flaps folded in. Then pinch the sides of the top flap inward.
4. Bring the point of the top flap over the "wall" you just made and press it down to the bottom of the box.
5. Repeat with the opposite flap. My box stayed folded all by itself, but you could add a couple dots of glue to secure the flaps if needed.
Make a lid for the box using the other piece of fabric. The lid will need to be slightly larger than the bottom, so when you get to step 2, don't fold all the way to the center point. Fold each side to a point a quarter inch short of the center.